Tips for healthy lips

A smile is often the first thing people notice when meeting someone new, and having healthy lips only helps make a better first impression.

There are many little things that are easy to do if chapped lips are a problem for you. Dry lips can be a sign of dehydration and drinking enough water each day is an easy fix.

“Whenever my lips start to feel dry I start using lip balm and make sure to drink extra water to try and heal them as fast as possible,” senior Adam Wattenbarger said.

When lips feel dry, it is worse to lick them because, although it may feel better for a small amount of time, they will actually become more chapped from the constant exposure to moisture. Using lip balm helps because it protects one’s lips from the outside elements. For even more protection, try using a chap stick that has SPF to prevent sunburns.

“I use Burt’s Bees because I love the smell and it works great,” senior Wally Geiger said.

“I have to use the ChapStick brand of lip balm because I’m allergic to everything else and if I use another lip balm it will make them ten times worse,” junior Gunnar Thompson said.

Being sure to watch what you eat will also relieve your lips from any unnecessary discomfort. Anything spicy or sour should be avoided to prevent added pain. Also, using toothpaste that whitens teeth can make lips drier, so be sure to check its label to see what is in the toothpaste before you use it.

Source: Discovery Health