Benefits of electric toothbrushes

Benefits of electric toothbrushes
Most everyone knows that brushing their teeth twice a day is an essential part of their daily routine, but the toothbrush that is used is also important, as electric toothbrushes actually provide more benefits than manual toothbrushes.Electric toothbrushes are not to be confused with battery-operated toothbrushes. Electric toothbrushes are rechargeable and the head rotates in more directions than battery-operated toothbrushes.

“I prefer electric toothbrushes because you always get an even clean,” junior Jenny Jessen said. “[My mouth] does feel a lot cleaner, partially because [the toothbrush] has a built in timer.”

One of the biggest problems that occur when people brush their teeth is that they do not brush for the recommended two minutes. Electric toothbrushes tell users when their time is up so that they know that they are done.Electric toothbrushes also prevent users from brushing too hard, and will shut off if too much pressure is being placed on the teeth. Brushing too hard can cause gums to recede and teeth to become sensitive if the tooth enamel is removed.“You don’t ever really have to worry about the brush speed slowing down because of lack of power,” Jessen said.

Because electric toothbrushes recharge every night users do not have to worry about changing the batteries. Also, users do not have to put forth as much effort when brushing their teeth because the rotating head does most of the work.

Although these toothbrushes do provide extra benefits, they are more expensive than traditional and battery operated toothbrushes. Some electric toothbrushes can cost up to 100 dollars, although most are around 50 dollars.

“I’ve never had an electric tooth brush because they’re too expensive and never saw the need for one,” senior Wally Geiger said.

Others simply prefer manual toothbrushes because they like the traditional way of brushing their teeth.

“The battery [toothbrushes] feel weird,” junior Austin Chavez said.

No matter what toothbrush you choose to use, the most important thing is to brush twice a day and make sure to remove all plaque and bacteria.