Healthy habits for skin

Sophomore+Melanie+Bennett+washes+her+face+with+a+creamy+cleanser+on+a+regular+basis+so+that+she+can+keep+her+skin+clean+and+maintain+a+healthy+complexion.+
Sophomore Melanie Bennett washes her face with a creamy cleanser on a regular basis so that she can keep her skin clean and maintain a healthy complexion.

With December just around the corner, your skin can start to get dry, flaky, red and even start to lose that summer glow. Now, with these simple tricks, you can counter the cold weather skin conditions and keep up a healthy complexion as if it were still summer.

MOISTURIZING

One of the most common problems that results from the cold weather is dry, flaky skin. To combat your your problem area, it is essential that you apply a moisturizer one to two times a day, once in the morning and then again before you go to bed. As the temperature drops, you should look to switch to a moisturizer that contains aloe vera, which has healing properties and decreases redness.

“I use a moisturizing body wash every night because it smells good and keeps my skin soft and silky smooth,” senior Wally Geiger said.

EXFOLIATING

Exfoliating requires the use of a grainy facial scrub to remove dead skin cells and excess dirt, but using it too often can lead to rashes or redness.

“Exfoliants are not very significant and a wash cloth should suffice,” dermatologist Moses Albert M.D. said.

Albert also advises against using exfoliants because of the chemicals that can be found in them. However,  if you want your skin to feel extra clean, see the homemade facial washes below.

HYDRATING

Hydrating is one of the most important things you can do for your body and it’s essential to your everyday health. Not only is it important to hydrate for your body’s health, but also for your skin. Proper hydration can lead to a clearer complexion and moisturized skin and also balance out the oils in your body.

“I drink lots of water to keep my body and skin looking healthy,” senior Micaela Filsoof said.

SUN DAMAGE 

Everyone knows the basic facts concerning sun damage and the link between sun damage and certain types of skin cancer. That’s a pretty serious  consequence, but can be prevented if you take proper care of your skin. You should purchase a moisturizer with an SPF of at least 15 so that you will always have it on.

“If you are wearing a lot of sunblock you should be taking vitamin D,” Albert said.

Sunscreen not only blocks harmful rays, but also prevents your skin from absorbing necessary vitamins.

Overexposure to the sun can also cause heat rashes, sunburn and general irritation. If you have already suffered from sun damage, aloe vera is recommended to treat it. However, it is best to take care of your skin to prevent sun damage before it happens.

NUTRITION

Having a healthy diet leads to a healthier body and lifestyle. Your skin noticeably benefits from eating right and cutting back on junk food. Vitamins and minerals from fruit and vegtables can help clear breakouts and improve the overall appearance of skin.

“You have to eat a well balanced diet with a lot of minerals and vitamins,” Albert said.

Some skin conditions can become aggitated when certain foods. For example, caffiene can cause acne,when consumed.

Exercise

People who lead a healthier lifestyle are shown to have the healthiest bodies and skin. When you workout you sweat, and sweating purges  the body of toxins that can cause breakouts and blemishes and clog pores.  Exercising also increases oxygen and blood flow throughout your body, which helps carry nutrients to your skin.