Do exercise supplements work?

After a grueling winter track practice, junior Jae Min Kim returns home, where he fixes himself a glass of Nesquik with an added ingredient: protein. For two years, this has been Kim’s routine every other day after practice, when he uses supplements in an attempt to “get big.”

“When I use [protein supplements], I notice a difference in my weight and size,” Kim said.

Kim, who plays sports year-round, is just one of many AHS students who have begun using protein and workout supplements out of a desire to maintain their fitness and gain muscle mass.

“I wasn’t expecting it to work, but [the protein powder I use] really does help,” junior Stephen Oakes said.

Oakes’s exercise routine includes drinking one shake in the morning and another within 15 minutes of working out.

“I’ve definitely been getting results with swimming, but I haven’t noticed any physical changes,” Oakes said.

This use of protein supplements raises questions about their actual effectiveness, as students and teachers hold varying beliefs concerning whether the supplements benefit athletes or instead hinder their performance.

Most people already consume sufficient protein in their daily diets, which means that they do not need an extra amount. In fact, many supplements exceed the daily recommended amount of protein. Instead of using such supplements, athletes can gain protein through the foods that they eat, as excess protein consumed through supplements can merely turn into calories.
Head Swim & Dive Coach Neal Jarvis advises his swimmers against taking protein shakes and supplements, recognizing the extra calories that they can create.

“In most Western diets you get more than enough protein and your body cannot store it for very long and most of it ends up passing through you. The shakes are not necessary, especially if you’re not working out,” Jarvis said.

Many supplement users are also unaware of the effects of the substances they consume in terms of how they affect one’s body. Creatine, a main ingredient in most workout supplements, is widely used by athletes to enhance athletic performance and build muscle.

When creatine is not consumed as part of your daily diet from foods such as fish and other proteins, your body produces it naturally. If excess creatine is consumed, your body’s muscle stores increased amounts of creatine and phosphocreatine, which studies have shown can enhance athletic performance in the short term.
However, many studies indicate that creatine does not have an effect on long-term athletic performance or exercise involving muscular endurance.

“I’ve been using them for about a year and a half and they’ve shown good results,” junior Justice Garrish said.

Many supplements also contain high levels of caffeine. Caffeine is a common energy booster, so it makes sense that it would be an ingredient in workout supplements.
However, high levels of caffeine, combined with strenuous exercise can lead to serious health problems. That being said, such supplements, including energy drinks, are strongly discouraged for high school athletes.

Since many athletes strive to perform at their peak, the side effects of these protein supplements seem like enough to turn one away.  In fact, short term side effects include muscle cramps, nausea and digestive problems, though they vary depending on the product. Although there have not been any concrete studies on the long term effects of these supplements, there are indications that they may cause future kidney damage.

“I don’t really think [supplements] are a risk,” senior Delwyn Molina said. “If you continue to work out they are nothing but beneficial for your body.”

However, supplements alone are not enough to make a difference.

“For the supplements to work, a certain regiment of diet and exercise has to be followed and most highschoolers do not do that,” athletic trainer Chris Austen said.
That is not to say that protein supplements need to be avoided altogether. There are supplements and beverages that are safe if consumed properly and can produce the results that their makers advertise.

“I think it depends on what you are trying to do,” senior Alec Villafana said. “If you want to bulk up, I think the supplements help; if you’re trying to lose weight, they probably don’t.”