Health risks of tobacco

Being one of the most easily accessible drugs to all ages, tobacco products do not always appear to be harmful to one’s health. When in reality, they are responsible for more deaths than alcohol, car accidents, illegal drugs, murders and suicides combined.

According to an in-school survey, almost 68 percent of students claimed to have not used any tobacco based product within the past month.

Tobacco use is known to cause some of the most feared and costly diseases, which affects the body in almost every way. There are many different ways to ingest the drug and the addiction to nicotine in these products happens very quickly.

Smokeless

The use of smokeless tobacco, such as chewing tobacco or snuff, is not considered a healthy alternative to smoking, or any other form of tobacco. Consistent use of smokeless tobacco leads to oral cancer, gum disease and even nicotine addiction over an extended period of time.

When several AHS students were asked about their dipping habits, they declined to give their names in fear of coaches and teachers finding out. This proves the awareness of the health risks and consequences are present, but that does not alter their decision to continue these choices.

Marketing companies target the youth through advertisements at sporting events where mostly males pick the habit up at a young age due to the convenience of using the product where smoking is prohibited.

Cigarettes

The addiction rate of smoking cigarettes is higher than those of alcohol, marijuana or even cocaine. Many health risks come with this form of tobacco including bad breath, increased blood pressure, respiratory problems, reduced immune function, tooth decay, gum disease and pre-cancerous gene mutations.

After surveying many students, the majority ranked cigarettes the number one most harmful form of tobacco.

Starting this month, the FDA is required to include graphic warnings on the front and back of all cigarette packs sold in the United States as well as 20 percent of advertisements

Cigars

The three most popular forms of cigars in the United States are large cigars, cigarillos and little cigars, which generally all contain the same chemicals that can permanently damage one’s health. Health effects of cigars are similar to those of other variations of tobacco including oral cancers, gum disease, tooth loss, and an increased risk of lung and heart disease.

Marketing techniques often imply that cigar use is an example of a luxurious and prosperous way of living even though they do not mention they contain the same toxic and carcinogenic ingredients found in cigarettes.

Electronic cigarettes

This alternative to regular cigarettes has been marketed with the unsubstantiated claim that they contain less damaging chemicals and can help smokers kick their addiction. The United States Food and Drug Administration is regulating the sales of these products until further evaluation can be done.

As of now, electronic cigarettes still contain the same addictive substance found in all other tobacco products, nicotine. Not only does this chemical pose a health threat, the electronic device has been known to malfunction and in some cases harm the user.

Second hand smoke

Exposure to secondhand smoke, breathing in smoke from a burning cigarette or other method after someone has exhaled it, is considered almost as poisonous as being the one who is actually smoking. Even brief contact with this kind of smoke can be harmful to health.

Parents who smoke around young children are making them highly susceptible to short and long-term illnesses. Ear infections, respiratory problems as well as lung and throat cancers are measured from even a short amount of inhaling second hand smoke. Those who have never smoked can still experience these effects including heart diseases and put them at a higher risk of heart attack.

The use of any of these products starting at a young age increases the chance of becoming addicted and experiencing the harmful effects at any point later in life.