The importance of stretching

As any athlete knows, stretching is a must before beginning an intense workout. These exercises decrease the chance of injury, keep the muscles warm and flexible as well as increasing their range of motion.

Blood flow is sped up and sent to the muscles which prevents them from becoming tired early in the workout. Aside from exercise, stretching during the day can relieve tension in tight muscles throughout the body.

“Stretching during a workout doesn’t make you as sore after the workout as you would be if you had not stretched at all,” junior Hayat Yusuf said.

Improper stretching can cause more serious injuries than not even stretching at all. Instead of performing only static stretches, those performed while muscles are at rest, dynamic stretches, or being in motion while stretching, are encouraged to prevent muscle strains.

Holding a stretch for too long can potentially harm the muscle. Only a few seconds is needed unless the specific muscle is excessively tight. It is also important to stretch both sides of the body. For example, performing one activity on the left side should also be done on the right side.

Stretching after a workout is just as important as the warm up routine. Flood flow is increased to muscles which helps in muscle recovery and lessens the risk of soreness.