Exercise Routine: Week one

Jogging
www.flonthego.com
Jogging

Most physicians recommend around 60 minutes of movement. A lot of students at AHS have that covered by sports, but for students who don’t play sports, it can be difficult to meet because other things get in the way. Its for the best interest of the person to at least try to get their daily exercise. Here is a routine that doesn’t require too much equipment.

1. A walk or jog around Annandale

Taking a stroll outside will help start up your body. Try to walk or jog for around thirty minutes. You can go on the track before or after sport practices are over, or just walk around the neighborhood.

2.  Do some curl ups

After taking your walk or jog do 50-70 curl ups. Some people can only do 10 or 15, so make sure not to hurt yourself if you haven’t built up endurance to do curl ups. Make sure to pace yourself because doing 100 quick curl ups won’t be as beneficial as say 50 good ones. Think quality over quantity.

3. Do push ups

Doing push ups will work many muscles like your deltoids and biceps. Try to start off with ten if you don’t usually do any exercise. However, if you feel like you can do more, aim for 15. Like curl ups its better to do less but correct push ups. Make sure you back is straight, your arms should be extended but not too much. Then go bend down to a 90 degree angle. It is difficult to achieve a correct push up at first but if you keep reminding yourself to keep the form, then it will eventually become easier.

4. Do wall sits

Walls sits are great to help tone the thigh area. Your hamstrings and quadriceps will be worked. First find a wall and make sure your back completely touches it. Squat down and hold a sitting position. Try to hold it for one minute. At first pain won’t be evident, but after 30 seconds or so you may feel some pain. Make sure not to drop down once you feel like your legs hurt. If you want to  challenge yourself, bend down even further. After you have done that one time, rest for a minute and do it again at a different angle to work all the muscles.

5. Break

Take a five to ten minute break if you are out of breath or feel exhausted. It is okay to take breaks but they should not be too long.

6. Squats

Squats will help tone your lower half of your body. Move your legs out and hold your hands out or on your hips to keep your balance. Then bend down like a wall sit. Repeat this around 10-20 times if you can.

You can always add more exercises in between if you haven’t gone to 60 minutes. This routine is not for people who are looking for an intense exercise. This will just help you get started by working a few muscles. When you wake up the next day, you will most likely feel sore. This is good because that means you worked your muscles. Continue with this exercise routine even if you are in pain.