Unsafe summer habits

Tanning+mom
www.2space.net
Tanning mom

Around a year ago the public was horrified by the “Tanning Mom,” her skin crisped to a caramelized brown, and the accusation that she brought her six year old daughter in the tanning booth. After that was over, people starting questioning whether minors should be able to tan artificially. The government is warning about the dangers of summer, such as tanning, west nile virus and chemicals in hair products.

The FDA wants to require a warning label on the tanning bed revealing the long-term effects in hopes that teens will think twice on whether they should tan or not.

However some may agree, that the warning will have no effect on minors because most of them are already aware that excessive UVA exposure can cause skin cancer, eye damage and faster aging.

So what would difference would it make to have a sticker on the booth? Warnings are on cigarette cartons, but most people continue smoking. However, making sure that people are aware is the main goal of the FDA as skin cancer, particularly melanoma, is one of the deadliest cancers and commonly comes back even after treatment.

“I probably would read it and think about it and maybe stop. I used to go tanning [out in the sun] but then I started hearing about melanoma, so I started to use sunless tanning lotion,” sophomore Adriana Villarroel said.

People began turning to a “safer tan,” or spray tanning because it is a quick bronze without the harsh UVA rays. Even though the skin is not exposed to radiation, this does not mean its 100 percent safe.

According to the FDA, “The use of DHA in tanning booths as an all-over-spray has not been approved by the FDA, since safety data to support this use has not been submitted to the agency for review and evaluation.”

Breathing in the various chemicals present in spray-tanning liquid can also cause damage to lungs. In order to protect themselves from inhalation, some individuals will ask for nose plugs or mouth covers. Others will hold their breath for as long as they can.

As well as bronzed skin, many people like to lighten their hair in the summer. However, harsh chemicals present in these dyes can do a lot of damage to hair.

According to CBS News, “The most problematic hair dye ingredient is a family of chemicals called Arylamines. Arylamines are a known risk factor for bladder cancer and have been found to cause cancer in experimental animals.”

Some people are allergic to the chemicals in many store bought hair dyes and can experience irritation of the skin and scalp, but many people do not get it professionally done as this can be expensive. Even store bought hair dyes can be expensive depending on the quality and brand. Although hair dyes give individuals their desired color, they can cause dryness and make hair look damaged. Hair dye is also not good for thick or frizzy hair because it will dry it out further.

Other dangers that come along with the summer is the West Nile virus. The summer of 2012 was one of the worst outbreaks of the West Nile Virus for several years. More than half of the U.S. had reported cases of the virus, with southern states reporting the highest amounts.

More than 1,000 people were reported as being infected and 286 died, but there could have been more because the virus takes time to develop and some are not aware that they have it. Ways to protect oneself in case an outbreak occurs are fairly simple, but there is still no vaccination available.

One is using bug spray wherever you will be outside for long periods of times. If there happens to be another outbreak, stay away from water because they are the breeding ground for mosquitoes.

“I stayed indoors and used a lot of bug spray to keep mosquitoes away from me,” sophomore Saroona Khilji said.

If you do not like bug spray then you may want to try “Off Clip-On.” The last prevention method is to cover up. Since it is hot outside, it is not recommended to completely cover up; but have a loose long sleeve shirt to make sure you do not overheat.

Whether it be mosquitoes or sunburns, summer should be enjoyed. Try not the let the bad aspects weigh out the good ones.