Dye your hair at home

Use these steps to stay at home and easily switch up your style by changing your hair color:

1. Before you begin applying the dye to your hair, you want to make sure that you’re protecting your clothes from getting stained. Wear dirty clothes that you don’t care about and plastic gloves. Drape a towel around your shoulders and neck because the dye tends to drip. Apply Vaseline around your hairline and ears so that the dye doesn’t stain your skin. You may want to lay down a drop cloth or apply the dye over a shower so that you don’t drip any of the dye on the floor. Separate your hair into 6 or 8 sections depending on your hairs’ thickness. Clip each section apart so that they stay separate.

2. Read the directions included in the box thoroughly before beginning to dye your hair. Usually the box will contain an activating cream and a coloring liquid. Mix these liquids together according to the directions. Using the comb provided in the box, start applying the dye to your hair. If you are dying your hair a darker color you want to start with the bottom sections of your hair and work up but if your dying your hair a lighter color you want to start at the top and work your way down. You always want to apply the dye from the root of your hair to the tip. Make sure you apply the dye evenly over all of your hair.

3. After you’ve finished applying the dye to your hair wait the amount of time stated in the directions. It’s usually around 20 to 30 minutes. Then you want to rinse your hair to remove the excess dye. Make sure you don’t use any shampoo or other products in your hair until the water runs completely clear. After the water runs clear, use the conditioner that’s included in the kit. This will keep your hair healthy and prevent breakage. The directions will tell you to keep the conditioner on your hair for five minutes and then rinse your hair with cold water. This will close the cuticles in your hair, which helps keep the color from fading.