What do your dreams say?

We’ve all had dreams before. Some we remember, some we forget and some are just plain strange.

“My favorite dream that I have ever had was that I helped write the Declaration of Independence, and Ben Franklin gave me the thumbs up,” history teacher Jonathan York said. “It wasn’t accurate, though, because George Washington was there, and he wasn’t there at the real signing of the Declaration.”

Most dreams reveal small issues or insecurities in life, such as how a dream about being chased shows someone is running from their problems. While these problems can range from small to significant, psychologists who interpret dreams believe they are good indicators of the problems.

“I think dreams are the key to your subconscious,” York said. “It’s things that you are thinking about and dwelling on.”

Not all dreams are negative, though, such as dreams about flying, which convey the message that a person is in control of their life and actions.

“I don’t think dreams will solve your problems, but I do think it’s a good way to see what’s going on in your life,” junior Brooke Terry said.

Dreams can also have themes, such as food, animals, weather and love. These are larger categories with many variations, but tend to send the same message when interpreted. For example, dreams with an animal theme suggest physical problems or feelings in life, but depending on the animals seen, the problem can be more or less severe. This way, more specific dreams that do not fit under categories such as “falling” or “school” can still be evaluated. Some dreams are extremely unique and specific, and may not be as revealing as they are merely amusing.

A good thing about dream interpretation is that it is not difficult for a student to do. Although the information is originally obtained and processed by someone who has studied psychology and human nature, dreams become easier to understand once the basics are understood,.

“Sometimes things happen in your life that you don’t even notice consciously,” freshman Sarah de Mello said. “In your dreams, you subconsciously realize what the importance of the event was.”

This is a beneficial way for students to be able to better understand themselves and also their lives. It can be a god way to reduce stress and solve problems.

Dream interpretation began in ancient Egypt and ancient Greece, when it was mainly related to contact with the supernatural or with the gods. In recent times, Ann Faraday began publishing books in the 1970s about dream interpretation that helped bring it into more relateable modern terms.

Regardless of whether or not students believe that dream interpretation will help them with their daily lives, the practice of it can be as entertaining as it is informative.