Livi Listens: Odd man out

Dear Livi,

I used to be such good friends with two people. The three of us used to hang out all the time. Lately, I’ve been feeling very left out, as they hang out all the time without me. I know I’m still friends with both of them, but they are in similar classes and play the same sport so I don’t get as much of a chance to see them. They also refer to each other as their “best friend” and I feel like I don’t have a best friend anymore because they used to both be my best friends. How do I bring it up to them without sounding like a drama queen?

-Odd man out

Dear odd man out,

It’s natural to feel left out and especially in a group with an odd number of people. Situations can arise where the third person doesn’t feel as included as the other two. As for your two friends, they’re spending so much time together because they have ample reasons to. They play the same sport, see each other daily at practices and rely on each other as teammates. Having the same classes means they share similar homework and teachers. All of this is beyond your control, but what you do in your spare time isn’t. Try planning things that the three of you can do together, especially things you used to do often. Reminding them of the good times you have shared in the past will bring back the old trio and make new memories for the three of you.

-Livi

Have a problem? E-mail Livi at:

[email protected]