Livi Listens: Not allowed to date

Dear Livi,

I come from a very strict Muslim family and my parents always tell me that I am not allowed to date anybody from a different background. I always respect what my parents say, but I do not agree with them this time. I have been dating a Christian guy for several months. I am really close to my mom, and I usually tell her everything. I am tired of keeping this part of my life from her. This secret is getting in the way of my happiness at home and with my relationship. What should I do?

-Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

Sometimes you should tell the truth even when it is hard to do. Lying to your parents is going to get exhausting and you will only be able to keep it up for so long. I’m sure your parents would appreciate it if you were completely honest with them even if they’re not happy with what you have to say. It may take some time for your parents to accept it, but in the end they do want you to be happy. Inviting your boyfriend over for dinner so your parents can get to know him may also be a good way to show your parents that he is a good guy despite the religious difference. In the end, honesty will save both the relationship with your parents and your boyfriend.

-Livi

Have a problem? E-mail Livi at:

[email protected]