New year, new resolution

New Years Resolutions generally center around eating healthier, but many AHS students hope to improve their family and academic lives.
New Year’s Resolutions generally center around eating healthier, but many AHS students hope to improve their family and academic lives.

With every New Year along comes an initiative of change among people to correct bad habits. From losing weight to doing more community service, many people plan to modify themselves for the better. New Year’s Resolutions are notorious for lasting a very brief period of time, but AHS students are committing to their resolutions with the hopes of being happier individuals.

“I think New Year’s resolutions are a great way to begin a new chapter in your life as long as you take them seriously and you are determined to achieve the goals. Personally, my New Year’s resolutions are to eat healthier and try and stay more organized to avoid procrastination,” senior Gunnar Thompson said.

Eating healthier and losing weight are probably the most common New Year’s Resolutions among adults, especially during a time when the obesity epidemic is widespread. Many AHS students cite that they want to eat healthier, but many also have academic changes they plan to make.

“My New Year’s resolution is to focus more on school and spend time with my family,” junior Kunnica Kou said. “I plan to prioritize and choose to stay and finish homework instead of going out and I also plan to spend time with family by watching movies with them or playing board games on Fridays.”

Sophomore Jenny McCann also finds New Year’s resolutions to be beneficial to those who follow through with them, with the main focus of her resolution to be more thankful for her family. “I made one to appreciate my family’s support more because not everyone has what I do and I take it for granted a lot,” McCann said.

Others don’t approve of making changes just because of the New Year.

“I think resolutions are pointless because it shouldn’t take a new year to for someone to start something,” junior Jordan Scroggins said.

Whether one thinks New Year’s Resolutions are useful or not, many can agree that any positive changes, or at least acknowledgement of areas that need change and pledges to do so, are for the better.

“I think New Year’s resolutions show a person’s positive outlook on the turn of the calendar. My resolution is to be a safer driver, picking a realistic and achievable one is what makes having resolutions enjoyable,” senior Madeline deMello said.