Livi listens: Torn

Dear Livi,

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a while and we spend a lot of one on one time with each other. We go on dates at least once a week because we like to. All of my friends see this as kind of weird, and get frustrated that we only seem to want to hang out with each other. Sometimes I feel a little guilty and feel like I’m missing out with my friends, but in all honesty my friends are usually just hanging out casually and not doing anything worthwhile. Whenever my friends confront me about this I feel awkward and I feel like they’re trying to make me choose between them and my boyfriend. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Torn

Dear Torn,

You situation is classic best friends versus boyfriend drama. This situation is a bit of a struggle for almost every couple trying to balance alone time and social time. The best way to combat this is to devote specific days to hanging out with your friends, no matter what they may be doing. Even if they’re just watching a movie or something low-key, there will still be things to laugh and bond about. If you devote all of your time to your boyfriend you are going to lose the bonds and friendships you have with your friends and may not be as close to them. When you look back on high school yes you’ll remember that one boyfriend you had, but you’re also going to want to be able to look back to the memories with friends and still maintain close friendships through college.

Love,

Livi

Have a problem? E-mail Livi at:

[email protected]