Powderpuff Smash

With homecoming drawing near, the air is thick with the anticipation of fun and football. Touchdowns, touchbacks and turnovers are on the minds of many athletes as the big game gets closer. But this year the Friday homecoming football game against Lake Braddock won’t be the only eventful game of the week. The annual powder-puff flag-football game is also expected to be a highly competitive and crushing fight to the bitter end.

“All the girls are going hard for this year’s game. We are bringing out the big guns for this battle,” said senior Rachel Gallogly.

Hopeful participants and coaches of the powder-puff game gathered at the interest meeting Wednesday, October 7 to discuss the rules, regulations and practice times for this event. But the rules weren’t all that was discussed, much game strategy and even trash talking occurred between the senior and junior participants.

“We are finally seniors and it’s our year to crush the competition,” Gallogly said. “We scored so many points last year that the seniors couldn’t even cheat and we are coming back harder than ever!”
Last year the class of 2010 took a triumphant victory over the senior class of 2009. The current seniors credit their unexpected victory to the great runs and receptions by Nikki Clarke and Aby Diop. Hopes are high for the senior team this year given the great success they achieved in last year’s competition.

“This year the senior girls aren’t going to need much coaching,” said senior coach, Nathan Clayton. “We have 100% more talent than the juniors and expect to kill them.”

Despite the immense amount of confidence the senior class has in their abilities, the junior girls refuse to yield to the senior spirit. They have plans to practice and prepare for this competition that has transformed into an intense battle.

“The junior girls are ready for this opportunity to crush the senior girls,” said junior Maddie Smith. “We have been waiting to play in this game for years and there is no way that we are going to surrender to the senior players.”

The junior players are not alone in their hopes for the powder-puff competition, the male coaches also have high expectations.

“All of the senior girls should not be as confident as they are. I have no doubts in the junior players’ ability and hope to lead my girls to victory,” said junior coach Nathan Seeto.

This game has become a fun addition to the homecoming festivities and with the rivalries at an all time high, the game is guaranteed to be entertaining.