Fighting flames for the Annandale community

Young boys around the country stare wide-eyed at roaring red fire engines. Their hearts pound when they see one of the brave men or women, in their boots and yellow suits, exit the engine. No one can deny that this profession is a truly admirable one. The firefighters that risk their lives for community safety are respected members of this area, and senior Jesus Castro is working tobecome one of them.

Who is most admirable?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

For three or four years now, Castro has been interested in this field and all it entails.

“When I was little I was always impressed by the work that firefighters did,” said Castro. “But is wasn’t until about three years ago, when my Academy teacher recommended I look into firefighting as a profession, that I decided I wanted to make this my career.”

Castro is currently a junior chief and has duty once every six days. During his duty at the firehouse, he is responsible for accompanying the firefighters to the scene of any 9-1-1 call that is reported. He may ride in the fire engine, the heavy rescue truck or the ambulance; but no matter what vehicle he arrives in, Castro is sure to be in the action and lending a hand whenever needed.

“A 9-1-1 call can be anything from a fire to a car accident,” Castro said. “When we are called we have to be ready for whatever danger and hazard that may come with such a misfortune.”

And with the training that Castro has received, he is prepared to help the professionals in any way that he can.  He has successfully completed his FFI and II training (which cover basic tasks firefighters face in the firehouse) and has his HAZMAT and MAYDAY OPS, which prepare hime for situations of crisis.  Also, while most of the teenage population is fast asleep on Saturday mornings, Castro is continuing his training. His classes include training on rope handling, vehicle extrication, elevator rescue and much more that will prepare him for a career in this field.

“I really love this line of work,” Castro said. “And making this my career, by getting hired by any department would be great.”

With his dedication and allegiance to this heroic field, it is evident that Castro will continue his laudable efforts and make firefighting not only a career, but also a part of his life.