Peer tutoring proves to be self rewarding

As senior Susan Al-Suqi pushes open the gym door, a feeling of pride washes over her: the realization that during her R7 class she will help someone who she would have otherwise never have met. Her R7 peer tutoring class is one she wouldn’t trade for another.

Al-Suqi is among the students who participate in the class act as extra hands for the special education department. For one period every other day, they help tutor students in the special education classes in their various lessons.

“This quarter I help a class in physical education, and I get to help them with fun activities,” said Al-Suqi. “During the first quarter I helped a special education biology class.  The experiences are very different, but both fun and rewarding.”

The program is rewarding for all participants.  Special education program students, teachers and tutors all benefit from the class.

“I would say, having the peer tutors in class helps motivate the students to do better,” said special education teacher, Ellen Ordonez.

The class is open to students of all grade levels and perfect for anyone interested in a career in teaching. Although the class is not often spoken of, the program is certainly rewarding to both the student tutors and those students in the special education program.

“I didn’t know of the class until I had a schedule conflict with the elementary peer tutoring class I was interested in,” said Al-Suqi. “My counselor told me about the peer tutoring class available through the special education program, and I jumped at the opportunity.”

And the opportunity proved worthwhile for Al-Suqi, as the class has presented her with the occasion to understand the importance of patience and the art of teaching itself.

“I have gained a lot of knowledge about teaching and helping special education students through this program. The patience and joy that these students have taught me has only helped me grow, and can come in handy in any situation,” said Al-Suqi.

The beauty of this peer tutoring class is that the education gained through the program is not one-sided.  The student tutors have the opportunity to gain the important virtues of patience and tolerance while those students enrolled in the special education program are presented with extra assistance and new friendships.  Successes are truly widespread for all participants in this impressive and inspiring program.