SakulThai Review

The underclassmen were slaving away on the day of the PSAT when we were sitting in a cute Mom and Pop Thai restaurant off of Van Dorn Street. Surrounded by neon green walls and cute Halloween stickers, our mouths watered as spicy lemongrass and peanut sauce scents escaped the kitchen and reached our noses. We could hardly contain our excitement. We ordered the lunch special, which includes one fried spring roll, a cup of the soup of the day, and a main entrée; all adding up to less than eight dollars.

Our waitress brought out the soup of the day and our spring rolls to begin our meal. The soup of that day was a lemongrass flavor with chicken and mushrooms. We were a bit hesitant when trying the soup, for we could see little red circles that indicated-SPICY. However, the lemongrass was actually very warm, soothing to our dry throats as the moist chicken began to fill our stomachs. We proceeded to these fried spring rolls that were to be dipped in a sticky red sauce. After the first bite, we were instantly disappointed that the lunch special did not include more spring rolls. They were absolutely delicious! The sweet, tangy red sauce perfectly complimented the crunchy yet moist spring roll. The spring rolls were warm and fresh from the fry pan that added an extra crisp to their crunch.

The exotic, flavorful appetizers left us gripping the edge of our seats in anticipation of the main course. We both ordered Pad Thai, for it is our definite Thai favorite disregarding the restaurant. We were both surprised at the amount of Pad Thai that was placed in front of us; that amount would have easily satisfied our appetites.

After squeezing the lime across the extremely saucy pasta, we ate for nearly 5 minutes without speaking because we just couldn’t get enough of our meals. We have trouble even describing how delicious it was because typical descriptive words simply do not do the flavor justice. The pasta was perfectly saucy, allowing each noodle to be coated with a delicious lime and peanut curry flavor. We savored every last bite of our Pad Thai, wishing we had bigger stomachs and an endless supply of this heavenly dish.

We left that restaurant in a joyful bliss, totally content with our full stomachs. This restaurant is an absolute must, no ifs ands or buts. For eight dollars per person, you receive a large amount of deliciously heavenly Thai food. The restaurant is never crowded, and the staff is always happy and cheerful to greet you at the door. The only reason we gave this restaurant an A- is because the eight dollar deal only lasts until 2:30 p.m. on weekdays. Although they offer the same selections in larger portions for dinner, the cost is much higher, a great disappointment. Do not let the time constraints discourage you; it is still possible to arrive at the restaurant right after school in time for the lunch special. If quick transportation is not at your fingertips, try this restaurant during a student holiday. You will not regret it.