Soaking up the sunshine

April showers brought May flowers – and the need to get outside. Here is a look at different activities and places you can do to get outdoors and enjoy the pleasant springtime weather.

Biking: Not only is biking an excellent form of exercise for the health of your heart, but it is also a fun way to commute from point A to point B. You can pair up with your friends, hop on your bikes and travel around the local Lake Accotink trails, taking in the scenery of the tall trees encompassing you. If you are prefer something more adventurous than you could always have a race. You can set up cones as your start and finish lines or just race around the neighborhood, being wary of pedestrians and cars, of course.

National Zoo: Roaring tigers, towering giraffes and barking sea lions are only a Metro trip away. The National Zoo, in Washington D.C., contains approximately 2,000 animals from over 400 different species in their 16 primarily outdoor4321 exhibits. With the cool sprintime weather and free admission, it is the perfect time to take a trip to the zoo. And if the weather gets hotter, there is no need to worry, because the National Zoo also features several indoor exhibits, shows and activities.

Putt-putt: What could be a better way to enjoy the great weather outside than to be at the miniature golf course for under $10? The miniature golf courses at the Mid-Atlantic Golf Center, Cameron Run Regional Park and Upton Hill Regional Park are all convenient places and are within driving distance. You can bring along a group of friends to have some fun outdoors while competing against each other to see who can score the most points.

Amusement Park: Roller coasters, junk food and carnival games can make for a great day with friends or family. Amusement parks in Virginia such as Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens and Six Flags may be a few hours away a piece, but the rush from screaming your head off when you drop from about 50ft on a fast zooming roller coaster gives you something to look forward to.

Walk to Cure Diabetes: If you like to volunteer and help others, the D.C. Walk to Cure Diabetes is a great spring activity for you. The 5K walk, which will take place beginning at 10 a.m. on May 22, is in cooperation with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the worldwide leading research program from type 1 diabetes, and will be collecting any fees and donations it receives to go towards finding a cure. This event is an opportunity for you to get involved and help out your community, exercise your legs and possibly meet new people.

Shopping in Georgetown: Georgetown may be considered as one of D.C.’s most visited areas to shop at by locals and even celebrities. The main street mall has many mid- and high- end stores ranging from vintage boutiques to well-known stores like H&M and Urban Outfitters. Shopping can easily wear anyone out but all that energy can be gained back by some of Georgetown’s finest restaurants. Aside from the typical American dining like Chipotle, Johnny Rockets, and Georgetown Wing CO., there is always something for cultural families like the Aditi Indian Cuisine and Chopsticks Japanese Restaurant. Georgetown is also home to the famous Georgetown Cupcakes.