Last Weekend I…

Last Weekend I went to Malcolm X Park with my dad on a Sunday afternoon and once arriving I could already hear the sounds of the drums pounding through the air at the bottom of the fountain in Meridian Hill Park, also known as Malcolm X Park, in Northwest DC. For more than 40 years Meridian Hill Park holds an unofficial, African style drum circle where anyone and everyone is welcome to watch, dance or drum along from about 3 pm-9pm.

As I reach the top of the stairs, I see the usual bright faces. The parks open area and stone benches allow the crowd of drummers and dancers to come together but it also gives enough space for other people to relax in the grass with a spectacular view overlooking DC.

Here, there is a mix of every nationality, skin color, drummer,age, and style you could imagine. Rastafarian men both old and young are beating giant congas sitting next to gray-haired caucasian man, a couple of saxophonists and across there are the hipsters in their aviators, woman in vibrant saris/scarves, dark skinned dreaded men, families with their cameras, young children, tourists, the joggers and bikers, the homeless chanting, painters, yoga instructors, martial arts students, and sometimes the occasional drunk. I am home. The unity within the park is like nothing else I have ever experienced and the beats are completely genuine. To build a beat one person starts a simple rhythm and the rest adds along creating one loud, on-going song. The acceptance in the atmosphere washes over all.

Immediately, I remove my shoes and bag, greet the regulars with a hug and begin to dance. I wish absolutely everyone in the world to experience the feeling Meridian Hill Park offers. And it’s ok if you’re not a drummer or dancer because many visitors come to picnic, relax, play football or even just listen. I recommend to everyone, take a trip to the park sooner then later.

By Marissa Uriarte

Staff Writer