Last weekend I…

Last weekend I went to the Penn Relays in Philadelphia on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. Track coaches Sean Miller and David O’Hara took myself and nine other runners to compete in the meet, which is internationally known and lasted from Thursday to Saturday. It was an honor to be selected and to have the opportunity to run in this meet because it not only showcased high school runners, but college and professional ones as well.

On Thursday, I competed in the 4×100 meter relay and the 4×400 meter relay with senior Monique Diggs and sophomores Isatu Koroma and Destiny Anderson. It was an overwhelming experience because at normal invitational track meets, athletes are permitted to warm up on the infield and occasionally on the track, as well as move freely around the area as they wish. At Penn Relays, though, all spectators had to purchase tickets and go through security to enter to their seats, and runners were not allowed into the track until they were racing. We warmed up on the streets around Franklin Field, where the event was held, and when our event number was called, we made our way to a special check-in that led us through the tunnel and into the stadium. We were lined up, ushered through several loading gates, taken onto the track for our race and then ushered back out through the tunnel. It was a whirlwind that was overwhelming but exhilarating. The large crowd and sheer size of the stadium helped to encourage and inspire me.

Our team ended up achieving a 50.98 seconds in our 4×100 and a personal record of 4:16 minutes in our 4×400. It was a great experience and I will always remember it as one of the highlights of my high school track career!