Try Vapiano for a twist on Italian

With locations in Arlington, Reston and Dulles Town Center, Vapiano may not be the most convenient location for students, but it does not disappoint. This Italian restaurant offers a new take on fresh pastas, salads and pizzas.

Walking into the Arlington location, we were immediately intrigued by the decor. Dark red walls are adorned with funky touches that have an Italian motif but do not feel classic or boring. A fireplace burns near a seating area with cushions and stools. On all of the rustic wooden tables, a simple box with olive oil, salt, pepper and a small potted herb plant sits in the middle, just enough of a decoration to give the space a sleek yet comfortable ambiance. The dark and bustling restaurant promises to please.

The main draw for the eyes, though, are the food stations, and we are not talking about those you may find at a buffet or cafeteria. These upscale stations are all lined up behind a short pane of glass, and behind each stands a red-hatted chef with a wok, ready to create the pasta of your dreams.

Behind the pane is a huge spread of fresh ingredients like garlic, basil, red peppers, mozzarella, herbs, onions and more. Customers wait in line for an open station, tell the chef the dish they have chosen as well as their choice of fresh pasta shape, and then watch as the entire dish is created in the wok within minutes. We chose the Arrabbiata pasta with campanelle, a frilly bell-shaped pasta. This dish is listed as including spicy tomato sauce, and we chose to add mozzarella and chicken breast.

The chef began with olive oil and garlic in the wok, then quickly cooked the chicken breast. After that, a tomato sauce was added, along with onions and several sliced hot peppers. Fresh pasta only takes about three minutes to boil, so that was quickly thrown in with mozzarella. The result was a spicy, delicate dish with bold flavors of tomato and perfectly al dente pasta. Our tastebuds were immediately hit with the flavors and the freshness of each one in the dish.

On the side, we shared a Spicy Orange Fennel salad with shrimp. This was prepared in a similar way, right in front of our eyes. The combination of fennel, orange pieces, glazed shrimp and citrus dressing was tangy and refreshing.

We loved the unique process, great flavors and hip atmosphere of Vapiano, and suggest students check it out for an affordable and fun dinner option. It would also be the perfect place to go for a casual date night or celebration of any kind. The multiple locations are not very close by, but are definitely worth the drive.

Ending to a rocky start with the meals.