To stop a bully

To stop a bully

Everyone knows Hollywood’s high school cliché as being the ultimate breeding ground for bullying. But how big of a problem is it really?

Sophomore Kunny Kou said, “I don’t really think there is a lot of bullying going on because the school is so diverse. You accept people from all different backgrounds.” Regardless, Fairfax County refuses to take a chance.
Beginning as early as elementary school, teachers and administrators have enforced strict rules about bullying. In addition to this, they started a one-week informational program. It is now known as Bullying Awareness week.

Over the past several years, emphasis in the presentations has shifted from cyber bullying to sexual harassment. From this, they hope students will learn that there are many different kinds of bullying, which include verbal and physical bullying as well as both cyberbullying and sexual harassment. The message is, that no matter how harmless you may think it is, none of it will be tolerated.

Guidance Counselor, Nancy Templer said, “The presentations are based on what we feel is most pertinent and what parents think is important.” Informational packets may also be distributed for parents to look over and discuss with their children.

The goal of the program is not only to prevent bullying, but to warn students of the consequences and punishments enforced by his or her school and even by law. In addition to this, videos and presentations teach students how to respond when he or she is being bullied, whether it is telling a parent, teacher, or counselor. Templer said, “I hope we can reduce any of that kind of stuff and minimize it as much as possible. That’s why Fairfax County starts as young as elementary school.” 

Guidance counselor Nancy Templer works to stop all kinds of bullying, in person or online.
The program was instituted several years ago, and already, some consider it a success. “I haven’t had too many so far, but there’s always a few,” Templer said.
Counselors and teachers recommend talking to parents, teachers, counselors, administrators, or even a friend if you are being bullied. In addition to this, they encourage anybody who knows someone who is being bullied or someone who is bullying, to take action. Stick up not only for your friends, but to your friends as well. Do not just stand around and watch it happen, put yourself in his or her shoes.