Thankful for early release

The smell of fresh food fills the air as the table is set. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and green beans are just a few of the many food items lining the table. And that doesn’t even include dessert. Two tantalizing pumpkin and apple pies sit waiting to be devoured once the dinner portion of the meal is over.

That’s right, it’s that time of year again. The autumn air is crisp as leaves begin to change and fall from trees. It is the beginning of the holiday season, and what better way to start it than with a Thanksgiving celebration of family and friends.

Tomorrow, November 26th, is Thanksgiving, a day of rest and celebration for many. Families across the nation will give thanks and continue the tradition started by the Pilgrims back in 1621. They will celebrate with family and friends and hold feasts to show their appreciation for all of their blessings in life.

thanksgiving

Students will get another long-awaited break due to the holiday. It all begins with an early dismissal at 12:00 P.M. today. Meanwhile, many parents will get the day off on Thursday to celebrate this day of thanks with their families.

Thanksgiving may be all about giving thanks, but AHS students have a variety of ways to celebrate the holiday. Some will travel to visit family while others will invite over family and friends for a Thanksgiving feast.

“I always have Thanksgiving with my family and other relatives. We always have lots of food, including a turkey and lots of pies. Then we watch the Texas vs. Texas A&M football game,” answered freshman Bobby Hollingsworth of his Thanksgiving plans.

AHS students also have many other traditions concerning Thanksgiving. Some plan to tune into the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade from New York City on Thursday morning. Many will choose to watch football games televised over the course of the day, since football and Thanksgiving have gone hand in hand for years.

“Every Thanksgiving I drive down to my grandmother’s house in Norfolk and we eat lots of food. We also watch football and the Thanksgiving Day Parade,” said sophomore Robert Scheible.

Some even choose to celebrate the holiday with their own special family customs or traditions, whether it be a family walk or another activity together.

Sophomore Emily Oliver is one such student. “What we usually do is we make wontons and write what we’re thankful for on stuffed cows,” replied Oliver when asked about her own Thanksgiving traditions.

In the end, no matter what AHS students decide to do, they are sure to have an enjoyable time over their long weekend as they give thanks and celebrate Thanksgiving by stuffing themselves to the brim and taking the time to relax and have fun.