Virginia Bans Indoor Smoking

Yesterday December first marked the day of the official law banning smoking in indoor facilities. The only exceptions are private clubs and separately ventilated areas for smokers. This new law will greatly impact society and the tobacco industry. Many employers are concerned it will affect their businesses.

smoking

Students at Annandale High school have differing opinions on this matter.  Sophomore Hiba Abu-el Hawa thinks that people will benefit from this law by not inhaling secondhand smoke. “Not many people want to be breathing in cigarette smoke while they’re enjoying a meal with their family”. However, another sophomore Emily Krause says, “I don’t like the smell but it is your own decision if you want to smoke.” While banning smoking inside restaurants may make it more tolerable for some, it may cause other smokers to take their business elsewhere.

Where does the government cross a line? To what extent should the government be able to dictate what people do?  Some students believe this ban is going too far. “I think that where people smoke should be out of control of the state.  It is the right of the people to smoke and the state is breaching the rights of Virginians who wish to smoke,” says senior Nathan Clayton. There is also a concern of the effects this will have on the economy.

Senior Tyler Rauer says; “It’s both good and bad, smoking is unhealthy but at the same time it’s hurting the economy since people will be smoking less and tobacco is one of Virginia’s main exports and agricultural products. Personally I think having smoking and non smoking sections work.” However, the reduction in smoking has significant health benefits and savings in health care costs.

For the time being, smokers will have to get by with smoking outdoors and in ventilated public places. Virginia is now the first state in the South to implement this ban, and Virginians will see how the new law against indoor smoking will impact public health and the economy.