Warm melodies to kick off a frosty winter

Tis the season to be jolly. And what better way to accomplish this then to listen to those old holiday classics? To help, the orchestra department has decided to kick off the festivities by throwing their annual winter concert.

orchestra

Parents and students are invited to join the members of the orchestra as they perform songs that are sure to get you in the holiday spirit. The concert will be held in the auditorium at 7:00 p.m. tonight. Tickets will be sold at the entrance of the auditorium.

All five orchestra classes- concert, symphonic, artiste and chamber- will be performing one song together before they divide and play their separate pieces. The joint effort be a imaginative combination of two traditional songs: “Carol of the Bells” and “Greensleeves”

In addition, the orchestra will be performing “Toy Symphony,” “Ice Sculptures,” “Winter Wonderland” and many more songs. “I’m excited because we’re playing our first original piece,” said sophomore Jessica Campanilla, who plays violin in artiste orchestra. The selected pieces are a mix of traditional holiday carols and English folk songs. They were particularly selected to fit the mood that winter, and the multiple holidays within it, tends to bring.

Some band students are partaking in this concert as well. Certain members have volunteered their time to perform with the orchestra. This small group of musicians will be collaborating with the orchestra on the popular piece “Winter Wonderland,” originally composed by Felix Bernard. “It’s fun because you get to make new friends,” said sophomore Diego Cornejo, who plays the clarinet in the band.

The orchestra department has been preparing for this special event for three weeks. They plan on decorating the auditorium with poinsettias, which they also intend on raffling off during the concert. Despite the effort, the decor pales in comparison to the orchestra’s previous creative feats. In October, the organization holds an annual Halloween concert, which is known for its lavish sets. “The decorations for this concert are minimal compared to the masquerade concert,” said orchestra director Stephanie Lewis.