A+ academic award winners

The luscious scent of the restaurant-made donuts met the noses of certain AHS students invited to the Academic Letters and Stars Ceremony. The ceremony was held in the cafeteria on Dec. 14, 2009, during R1 flex.

The Academic Letters and Starts ceremony was held for juniors and seniors that have a 3.85 grade point average or higher. First time students receive an AHS letter for their Letterman jackets. Others that already have the letter receive a star to decorate their jackets.

When asked if it was hard to maintain a high grade point average, junior Alay Tedla said, “Maintaining a 3.85 grade point average and above is not an overnight task. It requires a lot of hard work and effort. On top of that, my habit of procrastination did not make it any easier.”

Senior Christina Bui said, “I try to pay attention in all of my classes, do homework, and stay after for extra help,” when asked what kind of methods she used to maintain her grade point average.

This year, Fairfax County has made a slight change to its grading scale, making it easier for some students. When asked how the change of the grading scale has impacted his grade, senior Ryan Bates said, “The change made my grade point average go up mainly because of the added IB and pre-IB weights.”

Overall, the ceremony went well. Many students attended and received their letters or stars. Hopefully, more students will be attending the ceremony in the near future.

award1