Students contemplate the world’s end

With all the talk about the world ending in 2012, many people have begun to fear the advent of a doomsday; however, many others are skeptics of the prophecy.

Junior Sabera Bushara, for example, completely defies the prediction. She said, “The world will not end; I just think it’s crazy, it’s stupid.”

Senior Max Turner, however, openly believes the prophecy. He said, “I think it will happen; I’m not preparing for it. I’m just accepting it.”

Many others like Max candidly consent to the prediction and are planning to do nothing about it. However, others are undergoing drastic changes, such as giving up their jobs and selling their belongings. The 2012 prophecy originated from the belief that the ancient Mayans’ calendar ends in the year 2012. Scholars and modern Mayans alike disagree with that idea, maintaining that the calendar does not technically end in 2012.

In addition, scientists insist that there is not enough scientific data to support the prophecy. The forecast claims that in 2012, our planet will begin to rotate in the opposite direction, causing huge natural disasters—a phenomenon referred to as a “polar shift.” However, scientists say that the shift will not be drastic enough for such predicted forecasts.

“I believe it’s going to be a new beginning. The world is not going to blow up; there will just be a bunch of natural disasters,” said Sophomore Amin Elgarch.

Junior, Berihu Abdulkadir responded and said, “It’s total B.S.”

Other students, such as senior Bryan Cordova have speculated the prophecy extensively. Cordova said, “The planet called Nibiru will come to our solar system and cause gravitational changes.” Cordova claims that this will cause the earth’s demolition to begin. However, he said, “The government has a lot to do with it.”

When asked how he plans to prepare for 2012, Cordova said, “Nothing much; they [the government] already has too much control.”

As observed, the 2012 prophecy has many people believing different things. Regardless, it is an ominous sign for the AHS class of 2012.2012