Right or left-brained?

Sophomore Mohanned al-Noumen can complete an IB Physics problem in less time than it usually takes others to write it down. However, when asked to write a creative response to a piece of literature, it takes him “over an hour just to start it.” Why does this happen?

“To me, math is just pure logic,” said al-Noumen . “With subjects like English, I can’t get myself to recognize the symbolism or literary elements used in a book to understand the theme or message of it.”

In contrast, sophomore Read Berehe can earn an “A” in her pre-IB English class with much less effort than her classmates put forth, but she struggles in her Pre-IB Algebra 2 class. “I think I’m a really good writer, but I usually spend over an hour every other day figuring out a math concept that most people understand pretty easily,” Berehe said.

This scenario makes one think: are some people simply better at certain things than others, and why?

Some psychologists think the answer to that question is in the anatomy of our brain.

Hemispheric dominance is a psychological theory for the tendency of either the left or the right side of a person’s brain to be stronger than the other.

According to the theory, there are certain functions that the left side of the brain dominates, such as logic and analysis, while the right side of the brain controls fields such as creativity and intuition. For this reason, people who are creative are considered “right-brained,” while people with a stronger sense of reason are considered “left-brained.”

This theory of brain lateralization, however, is not widely accepted, as most scientists feel that the functions of the brain are processed as a whole.

Many scientists point out how intelligence is somewhat based on genetics, but more strongly on environmental factors.

Because of this reasoning, the United States’ education system puts emphasis not only on academics, but also on the fine arts and extra-curricular activities.

The hemispheric dominance theory was first developed in the 1800s by a French physician, Dr. Paul Broca, who conducted an autopsy on a patient of his that suffered from aphasia, an inability to understand languages. Through the autopsy, Dr. Broca discovered that the cause of the patient’s ailment was due to a lesion on the left hemisphere of the brain, leading him to initiate his theory of brain lateralization.

In addition, Broca’s theory is supported by the disorder dyscalculia, an inability to comprehend simple mathematical elements, as well as the ailment dyslexia, a learning disorder which makes the patient suffer from poor reading, writing, and math skills. Both these illnesses are known to be rooted from problems on the left side of the brain.

The hemispheric dominance theory is still in much dissent today because of a lack of evidence to prove the theory. For those interested in the research, online tests are available to test whether  you are “left-brained” or “right-brained.”