After snow break, school is “bittersweet”

Roads were covered by a substantial amount of snow and frigid, unmovable ice over the past week. Without school or the ability to drive anywhere, students were forced to come up with new ways to pass the time.

“For the most part I caught up on much needed sleep. I also watched a ton of Lifetime like I usually do. I hung out with my boyfriend Ronnie. That was pretty much it,” said junior Eboni McLaurie.

“I hung out with a bunch of my friends at their houses. Many of my friends and I snow shoveled for tons of money. We had a huge get together at my buddy’s house, which was a lot of fun. I paint balled with my friends and brother in the woods near my house which was awesome because of the snow. I finally saw Avatar for the first time and it was pretty good!” said senior Dara So.

“Most of the days of the break I would chill at home because I was snowed in. I also shoveled a ton of snow. I went sledding at Poe middle school and played some football,” said junior Ibraham Daud.

Some students used the snow not only as an opportunity to meet friends, but also earn some money.

“Over the break I shoveled and got a lot of money. I went sledding with a lot of my friends and went to my girlfriend’s house. We watched a lot of movies and went over to Wakefield [Chapel],” said freshman Hari Mizouri.

“Over the snow break I was stuck inside a lot so I read a few books and made a little over a hundred dollars for shoveling snow. I also went sledding at Pinecrest with Joey Stoll and Kellie Del Signore,” said senior Nathan Clayton.

“I shoveled a lot of snow over the break. I also hung out with my friends and went to visit my sister at Old Dominion University,” said freshman Joe Bermingham.

While the snow impeded most activities, it did not stop parties and get-togethers to watch the Super Bowl.

“I hung out with a bunch of my friends over the weekend. I also watched the Super Bowl with a lot of my friends which was a lot of fun because it was one of the most exciting Super Bowl’s I have seen,” said senior Kayvon Naghdi.

Although many students enjoyed their break, some were sick of being stuck inside. Students enjoyed being away from school but they also missed their friends. Coming back to school was a very bittersweet experience for many people.

“I’m not too concerned with being back in school because it’s the second semester of senior year. I’ve already been accepted into three colleges and I’m just coasting out of high school now. It would be much easier though if the school had cleared our senior parking lots that we paid to park in,” said Clayton.

“I was kind of mad about coming back to school because I had been so lazy over the break with school work that when I got back I actually had to do work,” said freshman Bermingham.

“I hate being back even though it was kind of boring at home it for sure felt a lot better than being at school,” said Junior Ibraham Daud.

“I’m so mad that we’re back in school because I hate having to do work!” said senior Kayvon Naghdi.

“It was very bittersweet to be back in school because cabin fever was taking its toll on everyone and I missed seeing a lot of my friends. The snow stopped most of the plans I had intended on doing,” said McLaurie.

“I felt okay about coming back to school but it would have been a lot better if it was a white day because I hate red days!” said Mizouri.

“I’m disappointed that we couldn’t miss the whole month! Being back is fine with me frankly, I missed school but I just wished we could have off a bit longer but being back is not that bad,” said So.

Overall many students enjoyed the seven-day break. Some felt that it was too long; others felt it was too short but either way school is back in session and teachers are going to be working harder than ever in order to make up for lost time.