Students show science savvy

After the many school cancellations, the annual AHS science fair finally took place in the cafeteria after school, Friday, Feb. 19. Over 650 students and 250 projects filled up the cafeteria.

Science Fair is a requirement for students taking an Honors Science course.

“Science Fair is a three quarter long independent research project, so the goal is to have the kids actually applying what they learned in biology or other science courses and making up their own experiments,” said biology and environmental sciences teacher Kimberly Becraft.

There were nine categories varying from biology to physics. Each project was a unique experiment that related to general science.

“My partner and I experimented what material is most efficient for radiant floor heating,” said junior Mitra Shamsian. Students’ projects were analyzed by various teachers for content and presentation. Students anxiously waited to be judged, some rehearsing what they were going to say before a judge came.

For first-time science fair students the experience was somewhat intimidating. They appeared stressed as they prepared for judges to come and evaluate their experiment.

“I was kind of nervous because I wanted a nice judge,” said first-time Science Fair participant, junior Jody Cha. For the more experienced Science Fair participants the process was worry free.

“I have done science fair before and it is really not that bad,” said junior Meriem Khadroui.

The judging process was generally quick and simple. Each student or group would set up their display and waited until a judge approached them. The judge would take a minute to have a look at the board while the student explained their project. The judges were teachers, AHS staff members and outside community members who had volunteered their time.

Students had mixed emotions on the Science Fair.

“I loved Science Fair because it allowed me to show my work,” said junior Edcel Arguetta.

“It is pretty time consuming but in the end, it is interesting to see the results and learn about other experiments,” said sophomore Nisreen Al-Suqi. Others felt differently.

“I do not like science fair because it is not fun and it takes up a lot of your time,” said junior Kunthea Lim. But whether students enjoyed the Science Fair or not it seemed to produce some beneficial outcomes.

“I think science fair is a great opportunity for kids to actually apply their knowledge of science and I think it is hard for the kids but it is their opportunity to really use their own minds and to really through a long term project,” said Becraft.

The results from science fair are scheduled to be announced in approximately a week. There will be 22 winners who will then move on to the Regional Science Fair held at Robinson secondary school on Sunday, March 14.