How simple bracelets are helping Haiti

Telethons, benefit albums, donations via text-message and donations in general are all ways to aid those affected by the devastating earthquakes in Haiti. Many groups including the Red Cross, the Salvation Army and UNICEF have come up with methods of aiding victims afflicted by the disaster. AHS’ leadership group also participated by selling bracelets with “Atoms Aid Haiti” inscribed on them.

“Each bracelet sells for two dollars and the money goes directly to the victims of natural disasters around the world. It does not stop at Haiti, because other countries such as Chile are being affected,” said AHS leadership member Maha Shah.

The AHS hallways have become dotted with the multi-colored bracelets.

“I was extremely curious when I saw all those kids walking around with a blue-red bracelet. Later on, I found out it was for the victims in Haiti and I bought one right away,” said senior Rami Jabari.

The bracelets provide students a simple way to donate toward a good cause. Generally, students do not have credit cards, making it difficult to donate to the victims in Haiti. However, AHS leadership is selling the bracelets in the cafeteria during the lunch periods, giving students an easy way to lend a hand to the needy.

“I don’t really know any other way of donating money to the people in Haiti, so I just bought this bracelet. It’s important to help those people out, because they are suffering over there,” said sophomore Ziya Jahangir.

“We have been selling many bracelets and have raised a lot of money for those victims [affected by the natural disasters]. Also, we will stop selling the bracelets in late March, so remember to purchase your bracelets before it’s too late,” said Maha.

Those in Haiti and Chile are suffering, whether it is due to losing a family member or because of physical injury. Help is needed, and it can start with a simple donation through the purchase of a bracelet.