“The King and I” under preparation

The theatre class is working hard to present their new play, “The King and I” which will begin performances on Thursday, April 15.

The actors and actresses mingled and chatted nonchalantly during rehearsal but quickly got into action as choreographers Michelle Kinzer, senior and freshman Debbie Adereton called their attention to start the dance routine. Dancing and prancing to pleasant music, the performers started the run through their dance routine called “Uncle Tom’s Cabin.”

The eighty-minute play is about a kingdom in the land of Siam in modern day Thailand. A king played by Daren Lopez who hires an English teacher named Anna Leonowens, played by Julie Jurenus, to teach the students.

“It’s almost a struggle of Westernization, you know. They’re learning English and new things,” said sophomore Jessica Fredericksen.

As the play goes on, the kingdom in Siam and the king are accused of being barbarians. The king, after fearing an outside attack, organizes a sort of dinner party and a special performance for English guests to disprove his barbarity and confirm his sophistication. The ending, however, was not revealed.

“ I’m not going to give away the ending…it has a mysterious ending, come and see the play to find out!” Jessica Fredericksen said. The actors and actresses seem to be enthusiastic for this play and even though it is lengthy, everyone is invited.

“Overall, I would say that I think it’s going to be great, as they always are,“ said sophomore Danielle Turner.