Muslim, Jewish students move toward “Understanding Unity”

On Friday, April 30 the Jewish Culture Club (JCC) and the Muslim Student Association (MSA) at AHS held an afterschool interfaith event called “Understanding Unity” in Clausen Hall. The main goal of the occasion was to allow an opportunity for Muslim students to learn about their fellow Jewish students about their faith and vice versa. Rabbi Isserow from Beth El Hebrew Congregation on Seminary Road spoke on behalf of the JCC, while Imam Zia from the Mustafa Center Mosque on Braddock Road spoke on behalf of the MSA.

The purpose of the event was not to just state the differences between the two religions, but to emphasize more of the similarities between the faiths. Rabbi Isserow began by giving a brief overview of the development of Judaism and how Judaism affects lifestyle choices. Both of the speakers gave a list of common misconceptions of the religion.

“Judaism and Islam have the most misconceptions of all religions and it’s great that we cleared it up,” said freshman Khadra Said.

“A lot of people look at [Judaism and Islam] as eternal enmity,” said Imam Zia when explaining that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict influenced  the public to believe that there was some animosity between people of the Jewish faith and people of the Muslim faith.

“The informational meeting changed my views on the religions,” said freshman Imed Rababeh.

Just before the refreshment break, members of the JCC and the MSA gave a small language lesson on Hebrew and Arabic. Leaflets containing the alphabet of each language were passed out to the audience to call attention to the resemblances of each language to the other. “The alphabets were really similar,” said Rababeh.

While the audience snacked on some interesting Jewish cuisines, Muslim dishes and some simple American snacks as well; Imam Zia and Rabbi Isserow demonstrated how each of their religions practice prayer before and after a meal.

“This is one of the happiest moments of my ten years at Annandale,” said health teacher Gabe Romano. “I’m speechless to be honest; Annandale is such a unique place. As diverse as we are, we get along.” Overall, many people were moved by the event.