The end of an era approaches

The robes, the spells and, of course, the scar — from its humble beginnings 13 years ago, the universe of Harry Potter is now recognizable by millions. Words such as Gryffindor, quidditch and muggle are now commonplace. The success of Harry Potter can also be seen in the creation of numerous computer games, a theme park and a movie series which is currently the highest grossing film franchise in history. There are even entire websites dedicated to all things Potter such as mugglenet.com and hp-lexicon.org. What began as a standard fantasy novel has now become something much greater.

While there is always religious controversy surrounding the content of Harry Potter, the series has undoubtedly contributed immensely to enthusiasm in reading for children and teenagers. Although the plots of the Harry Potter series are not revolutionary to their genre, the books have a message that can be appreciated by all: goodness and love will conquer evil and hatred. This idea, embedded in 4,058 pages, is surrounded by the trials of being a teenager and the need to grow up in times of desperation.

The books are so relatable that a child and an adult can feel equally connected to J.K. Rowling’s characters. For most Harry Potter fans at AHS, the books have been an integral part of their childhood.
“My babysitter first started reading Harry Potter to me on the bus rides home from school, and then I asked my mom to buy it for me and started reading it myself,” senior Elisa Figueroa said. “I read every book in a week, except for the last one which I read in a day.”

For those who have known the Harry Potter series for so long, it is very hard to believe the beginning of the end is coming in just three days.

Senior Lillian Singer said, “I think that the books are bound to give way to spin-offs, potentially TV shows, like the route many popular movies and books take.”

After nine years of Harry Potter films, part one of the final installment, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, will be in theaters Nov. 19. As announced in August, the first part of Deathly Hallows will break just after Voldemort gains possession of the Elder Wand from Dumbledore’s tomb.

This breaking point will leave the adventure at a very pivotal part of Harry, Ron and Hermione’s journey. However, Harry Potter fans will have to wait until July 2011 for their beloved series to come to an end.

While the ending of the book series was a huge monument for Harry Potter fans, the closing of the movie franchise will truly signify the end.
“I am happy about the last movie release because I want to see what happens in the end in movie form, but I’m sad to see Harry’s journey come to an end,” senior Victoria Ko said.
For many, the ending of Harry Potter will be a very bittersweet experience.