Spring sports start up

A new sports season was ushered in on Feb. 21, as spring sports began. Tryouts began for lacrosse, tennis, softball, baseball and soccer, with track and field beginning on Feb. 28. Students welcomed the change in activities and had many different reasons for their positive sentiments.

“Spring sports are my favorite season,” sophomore Madeline de Mello said. “I like it most because the weather is nice, the sports are more fun to watch and a lot of my friends participate. I’m excited for soccer.”

The warmer weather is one of the biggest draws to spring sports. Contrary to the winter sports season, when sports such as track practice outside every day in the blisteringly cold temperatures, more pleasant conditions are the norm.

“I’m excited for spring sports because the weather is nice outside so practice won’t be horrible like in the winter,” junior Stephenie Kyeremeh, who runs indoor and outdoor track, said.

The warmer temperatures also decreased athlete’s need to bundle up. Athletes get to play without added layers of sweats and gloves, and the sun is a benefit for some as well.

“I’m excited for spring sports because I get tan,” junior Sabrina Romano, a track runner, said.

Most teams hold tryouts for the first week and then make final cuts and choose teams by the following Monday. Red and White Night, an informational meeting for parents of all spring athletes, is scheduled for March 1 and spring pictures will be held on March 7. The official season approaches quickly, with soccer holding scrimmages beginning around March 5 and the first official game on March 19.

“Overall I’m very excited for spring sports,” sophomore Gunnar Thompson said.