Atoms spirit shows during football season

The overwhelming crowd of people pushing through the brightly colored hallways might be a shock to new students at AHS. The glowing red and white theme of the walls doesn’t seem to faze students, as they push through hallways too narrow to contain the large student body. Some think that the students don’t feel school spirit when they have to maneuver through such a crowd of their fellow classmates each day. A school so overcrowded, with a mascot discussed only in science classes, must seem unappealing and lacking in school spirit.

To the students of AHS, this is not the case. Students can be spotted almost every day, wearing their red and white t-shirts from school sports, clubs or even their weight training class. School spirit runs strong through a student body so diverse and reaches its peak during the highly anticipated football season.
“During football games there’s a lot of spirit,” senior Jessica Campanilla said. “There’s the senior Atoms Boys who run around with their shirts off and paint th
eir bodies red and white, and then there’s 10 Atom’s Girls, who also paint themselves red and white with the words “Go fight win”.”
With that much school spirit, the only thing missing is a
n official mascot running around at the games. AHS has no official mascot costume, but that doesn’t seem to dishearten the students.
“I think school spirit, as of right now, is fine where it is at.” senior Ahmed Bile said. “Plus the “Atom” has been around for more than half a century, so why change it?”

As previously mentioned, this Atom pride is best seen at the start of the 2011-2012 AHS Atom football season. This year, the football team lost the season opener to Fairfax HS. The score line was 21-9. Though not a good way to start a season, this loss appears to have had the opposite effect on the spirit of the Atom’s. During the days leading up to the game, Facebook was filled with questions asking people if they were going to the game against TC Williams. Atom pride was obvious in the encouraging “Go Atoms!” messages that were commonly seen on Facebook or Twitter. The team has since lost 39-0 to Lake Braddock HS.

So why the Atom pride?  Many students seem to share their love of hanging out with friends and supporting their team at sporting events. “I’m in the marching band so for the pep rallies and a lot of games we have to play and that’s fun, but I really enjoy going to the games to cheer and have fun too.” junior Alexis Garretson said.