The movies, minus the money

University Mall Theaters is a more affordable way to view movies in the Annandale area.

It’s a Friday night, and you are dying to see a movie in the theaters. There’s just one problem: you are on a budget, and you can’t afford to spend 20 dollars.

Well, you’re in luck. Known as the theater with the most inexpensive movies, University Mall Theaters is a dream come true for all movie fanatics on a budget. With movie prices at mainstream theaters skyrocketing, the 4 dollar movies and $3.25 popcorn at University Mall theaters are a much needed relief.

“When you go to places like Tysons, you’re paying for the huge theater and the huge screen. At University Mall, you’re actually paying to see a good movie,” said sophomore Amber Hines.

With movie tickets at four dollars for the typical customer, University Mall Theaters beats out all of its competitors. However, if a customer is under 14, over 60, or has a GMU ID, they pay three dollars for a ticket. On Tuesdays, also known as “Two Buck Tuesdays,” University Mall theaters sells all movie tickets for only two dollars.

Although the movies shown are not the newest releases, they are still popular features once they make it to University Mall Theaters. The theaters and the screens themselves are slightly smaller compared to the enormous movie screens at theaters like Tysons or Ballston Mall.

“It didn’t look like the nicest movie theater at first, but when we got inside the interior looked well kept up and the employees were really friendly,” said Hines.

Located on the outskirts of the George Mason University Campus, University Mall Theaters gets its name from its location and many college customers. Very few students can afford to spend 20 dollars at the movies every weekend, so the location of this discount theater is convenient for the typical college student.

If you are looking for a cheaper way to spend your Friday night at the movies, University Mall is the most inexpensive option in the area.

“I would definitely go again,” said Hines.