A melody of musicals

Photo courtesy of Georgi Barker
AHS students perform at last year’s Broadway Desserts.

The AHS choral department’s annual Broadway Desserts show took place on Jan. 11 and 12 at George Mason University’s Center for the Arts. This year’s show may be the last, as funding for the program has spread thin. Holmes and Poe Middle School choirs also got a chance to perform numbers in the Saturday matinee.

The event offered one matinee and two evening shows. Both evening shows sold out and the volunteers had to struggle to maintain the supply of food throughout the performances. Audience reception was positive.

“All the performers including my friends had amazing voices,” senior Brian Khong said. “I really saw how talented they were, and I loved it!”

The Broadway Desserts show featured 29 different show tunes from a variety of real-life Broadway musicals. Most notable were the performances of “Book Report” (You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown) by freshman Deanna Gowland, juniors James Barker and Mark Slough, and senior Andy Riddle, and “Colored Women” (Memphis) by freshman Jamiah Harrison.

The performances displayed the AHS choral department’s versatility like never before; adding elements of theater and highlighting certain student’s talents formerly unbeknownst to their peers.

“I loved seeing the amazing talents of people I never realized they had,” senior Yanira Guerra said. “I adore supporting my friends anyway I can and seeing what they’re passionate about.”

The show featured a song from Les Misérables, which made its screen debut recently and was voted most anticipated movie of the season on an online A-Blast poll. “Stars” was performed by senior Stephen Oakes and sent obvious chills through the audience.

“I really enjoyed the performance,” Khong said. “I really saw how talented they were.”

With too many great numbers to handle, it is almost hard to describe my feelings when senior Paula Naanou and Oakes took the stage with “All I Ask of You” (Phantom of the Opera). Naanou’s flawless execution of Christine Daaé was beyond entertaining.

“It was fun getting to see them put on different personas in stage. It was tons of fun overall,” Guerra said.