Theatre announces upcoming productions

Senior+HidayaHussen+plays+the+fairygodmother++in+the+2017+spring+production+of+Cinderella.+
Senior HidayaHussen plays the fairygodmother  in the 2017 spring production of Cinderella.

Senior HidayaHussen plays the fairygodmother in the 2017 spring production of Cinderella.

Binqi Chen, Co Editor-in-Chief

To get students excited for the new school year, the Annandale Theatre Company has released their complete list of performances. There will be three main productions spread out over nine months.
The first production will be She Kills Monsters: Young Adventurers Edition by Qui Nguyen. The shows for this play will last from November 16-18.
The winter play has been set to be shown from January 18-20 in room 324. This production, called Late, A Cowboy’s Song, is written by Sarah Ruh.
The final production for the 2017-2018 school year will be a musical. The ATC will be putting on their rendition of the famous Victor Hugo production: The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
The performances will last from April 19-21. The shows will feature soundtracks from the Disney animated version of the story.
“The fall play is an amazing theatrical opportunity of female empowerment,” senior Hidaya Hussen said. “The spring musical is hands down the most beautiful story and music composition ever written.”
Hussen joined the ATC last year through her role as the Fairy Godmother in the spring musical Cinderella. This year, she plans on contributing and participating in all aspects of the department.
She hopes that in her final year at AHS, she can gain all the interesting aspects of theatre that she has not had a chance to experience in the last three years.
“I will audition for each production, aspiring to get a lead in both the fall and spring production,” Hussen said. “Set design and publicity, too, are aspects of the company I will try my best to contribute to.”
All fall and spring shows will be held in the auditorium, while the winter production will be held in the Black Box theatre.
As the performance dates become closer, there will be opportunities for interested students to audition for individual characters.
Auditions for She Kills Monsters will last from September 11-12 after school in the black box. Students can audition for monsters only or try for an overall acting position.
For the acting roles, students will need to prepare a one minute comedic monologue or cold reading and a 30 second to two minute movement demonstration. Those auditioning for the monster’s only part will also be expected to perform a movement demo.
To prepare students for audition, ATC has organized an optional audition workshop that would work to improve skills in actors’ monologues and audition side. The actors can also receive guidance and tips.
With an enthusiastic cast and staff, the ATC will continue to provide quality performances for the entire Annandale community to enjoy.