Coffee House attracts new talents

Juniors+Elvera+Miller+and+Jimmy+Le+perform+%22Sunflower%22+at+the+Coffee+House+hosted+by+the+Filament+Literary+Magazine+on+Jan.+23.+

Coffee House attracts new talents

Juniors Elvera Miller and Jimmy Le perform

Juniors Elvera Miller and Jimmy Le perform "Sunflower" at the Coffee House hosted by the Filament Literary Magazine on Jan. 23.

Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

The Filament Literary Magazine hosted the fourth Coffee House event of the school year on Jan. 23 in Clausen Hall. Throughout the progression of the school year, Coffee House has not only attracted new audience members, but new performers as well.

Entrance to the event was $5 with baked goods and coffee available to audience members as well. Due to high audience turnout in previous Coffee House’s this school year, the event was moved from the Bistro to Clausen Hall in order to accommodate more audience members and to provide more room for performers as well.

“We are really excited about Coffee House for the rest of the school year,” Filament Co-Editor in Chief Evelyn Nguyen said. “The event is only growing and is getting bigger and better.”

Performances this time around included band performances, spoken word poetry, singing and duets as well.

After holding auditions on Jan. 9, performers for the Coffee House were selected. There were a total of 12 performances with some individuals performing multiple times.

The Coffee House opened with a performance from the band “Chicken and Waffles” who played their version of “Seven Nation Army” after being introduced by the host for the evening, senior Ayman Elhag and junior Tarik Darweish.

The band composed of seniors Justin Phan and Milton Ramos, junior Noah Byrne, sophomores Nareg Boghosian and Jackson Fornaris and freshman Adam Shawish, played two more songs at the Coffee House including “Take Five” and “Whole Lotta Love.”

Senior Emily Traschel performed an original spoken word poem titled “Ten things every teenage girl should know before falling in love with a teenage boy.”

Multiple duets were featured at the Coffee House including a performance by juniors Elvera Miller and Jimmy Le who sang “Sunflower.” Seniors Melat Habte and Mikal Cheffena also performed the song “Listen.”

Additional spoken-word poems were featured at the Coffee House as well such as “1077” by junior Kadijeh Janneh and “Handed down problems” by freshman Crubel Dawson.

There will be two more Coffee House’s set to take place this school year on March 6 and April 10.

About the Writer
Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

Senior Jude Nanaw is the current Co-Editor in Chief of The A-Blast. He has been on staff for four years where in previous years he has held the positions...