Relax! It’s summer!

Yes, it’s that time; watching the waves go in and out, sitting with your family at that spot you seem to find every year at that beach. It’s Monday night, and if you’re on swim team, you know that means it’s time to race! Yes, it’s summer time. Or so we’ve been told. Unfortunately, it seems as if the term “vacation” need not apply to teachers, and even students for that matter.

What do I mean by that? Simply, the fact that I am still under the duress of stress, that’s what; and so are a number of other AHS students. Between Governor’s school, IB summer assignments, jobs, and plethora of other responsibilities that many AHS students find themselves overwhelmed with, relaxation seems to be a thing of the past.

However, it shouldn’t be.

Believe it or not, this overdue epiphany was one I experienced in an elevator, flying twelve stories down from my workplace to the lobby of the building. I was in the deep depths of planning my mental “to-do” list, one that seems to never run out of pages, and then I stopped. It’s been two weeks since I left the halls of AHS for the summer, with a pile of IB assignments in my hands- so why was I still in a state of school? Surely, if I was to keep this up, I realized, then I would “burn out” before I even started junior year!

In order to lower my blood pressure after coming to this worrisome conjecture, I resolved that as soon as I finished my work, then I would relax! However, I proceeded to realize that if I were to take a “temporary fix” approach, then I would see myself cast in a never-ending cycle of stress and then neutrality. What is more, I realized, is that this would simply not work. This requires a change of mindset.

So, how can one remedy this calamitous situation? Simply, take a breath, step back, and enjoy. It’s easier said than done; I’ve had to try this theory on myself, many times. It’s hard to apply, but in order for one to be their very best, it is necessary to relax. This is why academics and clerics are allocated sabbaticals, so as to “rest their minds” (the term sabbatical being a deviation from “sabbath,” or “rest”). I find myself in a frenzy of stress, surrounded by “over-achievers,” those who are convinced that the key to the Ivy League or that next stepping stone, is a resume dripping of meaningless titles. Then remind myself- I need to relax. Breathe. Unwind. Relax. Please, for my sake, take a trip to the beach.