The true purpose of the holidays

As you walk around D.C. and enjoy the beautiful city, you notice a homeless man further up the street. You silence the change in your pocket and think to yourself, I’m sure lots of other people will help him out.

While that is not always true, I discovered over the winter break, D.C. residents take on a very giving spirit during the holidays.

My family and I decided that we wanted to do something useful with our time. We took about an hour out of our day and made ham and cheese sandwiches along with some cookies to give to the homeless.

That night we drove into D.C. with Christmas lights wrapped around the hood of the car with high spirits, wanting to help anyone who looked the least bit hungry. Thankfully, it was very difficult for us to locate people sleeping on the streets.

After asking a police officer to point us in the direction of known areas where the needy congregated, we found people lining the streets with their trash bags in hand. Our first attempt was an Asian couple who looked hungry and cold. As we approached them we could see them smiling.

The bags we were handing out contained one sandwich, a cookie or two, an iced tea and a McDonalds gift card for $10 with our hopes that they could stretch that to at least three more meals for a later date.

My mother stretched out the bag asking the couple if they would like a meal along with a gift card. They began to laugh as my mother stood there confused.

“We don’t eat McDonalds! Too fattening!”  they said.

We continued walking through city and found groups of people who seemed very much in need of a meal.

A few people that we approached were being given wrapped gifts from other people. Cars were stopping near the homeless’ belongings and leaving large packages and bags full of treats and sometimes money.

This winter season, my family and I realized how the holiday season should not focus on what you are getting but instead on what you are giving. It was wonderful to see those in need receiving help from good Samaritans. While we were not nearly as generous as other citizens, we thought something would be better than keeping it to ourselves.

Because others are giving back to the community, that should not mean that you make that an excuse not to. Do not think that someone else is giving so you should not. Instead, see this as an opportunity to contribute to what is already being done.

So maybe next holiday season, instead of sitting at home playing your new Xbox, take a few minutes out of your day to give whatever you have whether it be a big or small amount. Even a Christmas candy cane could lighten someone’s spirit and give them that holiday cheer that they have needed all along.