Atomic Advice: How do I stay motivated during the school day despite lack of sleep?

It is hard to push through the school day when you are completely exhausted. Here are some tips for staying awake and getting motivated while you’re in class.

First, it is important to note that the only true cure for fatigue is getting more sleep. Perhaps ask yourself why you are getting so little sleep and create a plan that ensures you get to bed on time.

A good step for moving in that direction is to break up your “to-do’s” into smaller, more manageable tasks and visualize yourself completing them to keep you motivated. Additionally, staying off your phone for at least thirty minutes before bed will help you wind down and fall asleep sooner.

Although these are good strategies for after school, how can you stay motivated during the day?

Start by having a nutritious breakfast. Even a quick banana and a full glass of water can be a great way to start your morning. Contrary to popular belief, loading up on caffeinated beverages may actually make you feel worse, so stick to healthy meals and snacks that boost your energy instead. Drinking at least 64oz of water daily will help you stay awake by providing your body with the hydration it needs.

Meditating or talking to someone can clear the grogginess from your mind and help you to refocus on your work.

Listen to music that makes you feel good. Not only does it naturally raise your mood, but specific styles like classical or instrumental music, nature sounds, white noise, or even video game soundtracks can get you focused on your work.

Most importantly, take breaks when you need them, reward yourself when you meet your goals, and look out for signs of burnout.