Atomic Advice: How do we cope with or get over unrequited love?

Unrequited love is “when you develop romantic feelings for another person who doesn’t feel them back” (WebMD). Realizing you are in this position is difficult and I’m sure we’ve all been there. Here are some tips to battle the heartbreak:

1. Give yourself some space from the person to make it easier to move past the rejection. This is especially important if it is difficult for you to move on.

2. Focus on your hobbies, work or school, and your family and friends to stop you from thinking about them too much.

3. Take some time to focus on yourself and what you can do for self love and care. When you better yourself, “you may notice that you are seeking people who feel the same as you and are better able to move on when they don’t,” suggests BetterHelp.

4. Talk to someone about your feelings or journal. It is important to process your emotions and even consider speaking to a counselor or therapist when you are unable to move past them and it begins affecting your daily life.

At the end of the day, getting over rejection is a painful experience. Studies have found that your brain reacts to rejection in a similar way it does to physical pain, so take the time you need, and know that you will get through it.