NHS welcomes newbies

As they walked into the auditorium amid the appreciative applause of parents and the occasional camera flash, the 70 inductees of the National Honor Society for fall 2010 took their seats and prepared for their induction ceremony to begin. The event, held at 7 p.m. on Nov. 10 in the auditorium, marked the culmination of the application and acceptance process for those who were selected to be new members of NHS.

“I thought it was very formal and nice,” current NHS member junior Marissa Shartel said.

The guest speakers were led by math teacher Jim Evans, who was accepting the award for “Favorite Teacher of the Year” after being voted by the graduating NHS members of 2010. He spoke about “finding your passion,” and congratulated students for their achievement.

“The speakers made very appropriate and fitting speeches,” Shartel said.

For Assistant Principal Vincent Randazzo, the speech he chose to fit with the evening focused on character development, encouraging students to embrace character qualities such as integrity and respect. Following this, Assistant Superintendent of Cluster III Dan Parris, who was invited by Principal John Ponton to attend, spoke about the importance of motivation and how it is shown in history specifically through Abraham Lincoln. He encouraged students to work hard so that they could try to “summarize their life’s accomplishments into just one sentence,” as quoted from his speech.

Once the speeches were finished, four candles representing scholarship, service, leadership and character were lit and the inductees were given their certificates of membership.

“It feels good to be recognized for my academic achievements,” sophomore inductee Stephen Oakes said.

The new inductees were given a reception in Clausen Hall and are now officially ready to take on the responsibility of membership.

“I think that NHS is a good experience, and their first year will be successful because I remember mine was last year,” said Shartel. “It was sweet to see parents all excited for their kids too.”

“I am excited to be a part of National Honor Society,” sophomore Madeline de Mello said.