The Taming Of The Shrew

The excitement was mounting in the theater as the nervous actors peeped through the curtains in anticipation of the first scene. Music started playing and all the members of the crowd began to dance in their seats. An actress dressed in full costume came out and politely welcomed everyone and gave the normal “turn off your cell phone” speech.

Every year, kids belonging to the English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) program put on a play at AHS. This year, they preformed “The Taming of the Shrew” by William Shakespeare. The crowd was very active during the entire play and made noises similar to that of a television studio audience during the funny and shocking scenes. As the play went, on the audience members began to dance to the music that was played during the scene changes. They cheered, whistled, laughed, ahh’d, ooh’d and applauded at the end of scenes.

“It was amazing, the acting was really good and i loved it. It was also really funny,” senior and audience member Jocelyn Cinto said.

The acting was very believable and actress Abla Camposs Gonzales received many laughs for her physical comedy as Grumio. The characters who played Katerina and Bianca portrayed the angry hateful sisters in a very convincing matter. The actor who played their father, senior Carlitos Portillo, was very comedic with his excellent use of hand gestures.

After the play senior Portillo said, “It went pretty good, we practiced for about one and a half months,” Portillo said after the play. “A lot of work went into it in the last week. It got really busy, because some people did not show up, and it caused a lot of trouble because when people do not show up it makes it confusing. That is why some people had to play more than one character.”

To make the play more modern, the actors mixed in present-day references and mannerisms for laughs. Overall, the performance was a success. Each actor performed to the best of their ability and made the show very enjoyable.