Smitten with Badminton

When traveling to a foreign country, it is important to be immersed in as many cultural activities as possible. While tennis is the popular racket sport in the United States, it is rarely played in China. Instead, badminton is the sport of choice because it takes up less space and is easy to play.

“Usually we play badminton after school or during the rest period in the school day,” Xiao Di, a student at The High School Attached to Northwest Normal University said.

In an attempt to further enrich themselves in Chinese culture, four AHS students challenged their Chinese friends to a friendly match in the courtyard. While the Americans believed they played with a lot of energy and spirit, they could not deny their lack of experience, which led to an eventual win for the Chinese students.

One of the reasons badminton is more popular in China is because the standard court is only 44ft x22ft and the net is 5 ft tall on the center of the court. This smaller size allows for more courts, which is particularly convenient in crowded areas.

During the game, players are to hit the shuttle over the net. As stated by the International Badminton Federation (IBF), a team can score points by hitting the shuttle onto the ground of the opponents’ court. The opposite team can score if the shuttle hits the net, lands outside of the court, or touches another player before it crosses the net. Each match is made up of 3 games, and the best out of three wins.