New Year: new you

For some students, January 1 signals the end of winter break is near. For others, it marks a new beginning and the perfect time to resolve to be a better student.

“One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to do better in school by getting more organized and studying more,” said sophomore Helina Daniels. Daniels is just one AHS student who has decided to take advantage of the New Year. 

Junior Isabelle Yaroch, however, commented, “My New Year’s resolution is to get all my homework done on time.”

For those students who have not yet selected what their resolution ought to be, here are several easy adjustments.

Each morning in almost all the classes, there is somebody either asleep or struggling to stay awake. Do not be one of those students; try one of these quick fixes.

Resolve to wake up a few minutes earlier each morning to eat a healthy breakfast.  Parents and teachers have said this every year, particularly on the day before standardized testing. While most are tempted to ignore it, think twice. Studies show that students who eat breakfast before going to school in the morning have more energy throughout the day and are able to stay better focused.

If neglecting to eat breakfast is not the problem, then it might be staying up late working on homework. Although everyone is guilty of procrastination, it does not affect everyone to the same degree. Try to start homework earlier in the day, when the information is still fresh. Not only will homework take less time, but it will also allow for an earlier bedtime.

For other students, the problem is staying focused while doing their homework, not actually getting started. Resolve to find a quiet, distraction free place to do homework and to study. That means staying off Facebook, Twitter and MySpace until all the work is finished.

One other reason for staying up late, is last minute projects and study sessions before tests. Try breaking projects into several smaller deadlines. For instance, if a teacher assigns a topic for students to research and prepare a presentation for, try dividing it into three sections.

On one day, try to get all the research and information that is required together. The next day, organize it into whatever format is required. On the third workday, put together whatever visual aid might be required. Finally, on the last day, prepare and practice the presentation. The same can be done for tests. Study a few sections each night, and then on the last night before the test; go over the general information from the chapter as a whole.

Freshmen Julia Copenhaver has already taken the lead, “My goal is not to get any grades lower than a C,” said Copenhaver.

Students should examine their areas of weakness and choose a resolution that addresses their individual problems. However small it might be, it can make getting good grades that much easier, and the New Year is the perfect time to get started.