Brainy after the bells

The bell rings for students to finally go home at the end of the day, but that is when the academics are about to begin for some. Thoughts of whom to hang out with after school fill students’ minds on their way to their buses and cars. But for the several students who have decided to make the most of their education, thoughts of mathematical equations and scientific theories flood into the brain.

After school, there are many clubs and extra-curricular activities for students . These activities range from the Red-Cross Club to the Science National Honor Society; also including much more cultured clubs.

Clubs can be defined (in certain cases) as an extra class. Some clubs incorporate learning new topics, not covered in regular classes, and it gives students some extra knowledge, that can be very beneficial for their future.

“I joined the Green Atoms at first because I care about the environment and love learning a lot to help it,” Said junior Olivia Ko. “What I have taken from this club is to think twice before I do things. This advice will help me in any situations presented upon me.”

The clubs also can be another form of an introductory to future occupations. Some students join clubs to get a better look at what they want to do when they get older. Experiencing these things can be valuable to letting students know what they are getting in, and also helping them learn more about the topics they are interested in.

To certain students, these clubs are just another thing to add onto their college application, and are not really in it for the education. But for junior Jake Dang, it is a tad bit different.

“I probably wouldn’t have joined any clubs [Key Club] if I didn’t care about my college applications.” Said Dang. “But in the end I’m glad I did because many of the volunteer events turned out to be somewhat fun and worthwhile. You feel good about yourself and who you are when you help your community.”

But for the students taking the initiative to learn more in their high school career, the knowledge is beneficial and actually helps them in class and out in the real world.

“I joined the Key Club because I wanted to be an active member of my community and to help the community grow and prosper. I don’t really see it as just another club to put down on my college applications; but it can be considered a bonus.,” said senior Semone Solomon. “Working with this club makes me feel good about myself especially after completing projects set up. This club taught me the values of learning and being a helping hand. It also gave me a broader knowledge of how the world really is, because we are exposed to many things.”

Students should take the initiative to join a club. Although students may think the clubs are useless and a waste of time, this can change; well it certainly has for other students.